Welcome To The Internet Golf Club Your UK On-Line Golf Information Service
Home Courses Sales Articles News Reviews Rules Jokes Contact Win
Narin & Portnoo Golf Club and Narin & Portnoo Golf Course
Narin & Portnoo Golf Club and Narin & Portnoo Golf Course
Welcome To Narin & Portnoo Golf Club
Details Correct As Of 07/04/2015

Narin & Portnoo Golf Club - Portnoo
Address    Narin
Town    Portnoo
Postcode    Co. Donegal
Secretary / Manager    Glynn
First Name / Manager    Michael
Telephone    00353 8639283
Fax    00353 74 9545994
Club Website Address   www.narinportnoogolfclub.ie
Email Address   narinportnoo@eircom.net
Course Information Line Telephone    00353 74 9545107
Greenkeeper    Gerry Mc Glynn
Club Professional    Daragh Lyons
Telephone    00353 74 95 45107
Fax    -
Pro's Website Address   www.narinportnoogolfclub.ie-
Pro's Email Address   -
Club Steward / Manager    
Telephone    00353 74 9545107
Fax    00353 74 9545994
Number Of Holes    18 Hole
Course Yardage    6854
Par    73
Yardage Markers On Course   yes
Changing Room Facilities   yes
Handicap Certificates Required   no
Driving Range   yes
Soft Spikes Required   no
Society Day(s)     Mon , Tue , Wed , Thur , Fri , Sat , Sun
Type Of Club    members
Course Type    Links
Green Fees Weekdays    40 euro
Green Fees Weekends    50 euro
Green Fees Twilight   No Information Given
Green Fees Junior    Half fees
Green Fees Society    Depends on numbers playing
Green Fees Other   No Information Given
Joining Fee    zero
7 Day Membership Fee    486 euro (not full member)
5 Day Membership Fee    none
Ladies Membership Fee    365 euro
Junior Membership Fee    75 euro
Country Membership Fee    475 euro
Other Membership Fees    
Membership Fee Information    50 euro extra levy applies to all members
Proshop Available   yes
Club Hire Available   yes
Club Repairs Available   yes
Custom Club Fitting Service   yes
Trolley Hire Available   yes
Electric Trolley Repair   no
Buggy Hire Available   yes
Lessons Available   yes
Course Planner Available   yes
Bar Available   yes
Breakfast Available   yes
Lunch Available   yes
Afternoon Tea Available   yes
Dinner Available   yes
Accommodation Available   no
Narin and Portnoo Golf Club was founded in 1930 when five local men decided that the warren in Narin had the potential to be developed into a testing links. Canon Ernest Devlin, Rev. Boyce, William Hammersbach, William ODonnell and Francis J. McLoone saw the fillip to the tourist trade that a golf course would provide and they pooled their resources to rent the land from the five landlords concerned. A number of rudimentary holes were already in existence and help was sought from Hughie McNeill, the professional in Portrush to bring those holes up to scratch.
On July 9, 1930 William O’Donnell launched a drive down the first and a golf club was born. A committee was formed in 1931 with Mr. O’Donnell the first captain and by the spring of 1932, nine holes had been laid out. Jim McCole was appointed greenkeeper in 1934 and would hold the post until 1977. Under his stewardship, Narin developed a reputation for fast links greens and the sight of Jim on his knees plucking rye grass was not an uncommon one.
Throughout the thirties the membership grew and a decision was taken in April 1938 to build a clubhouse. Joseph Cunningham & Sons, Killybegs were awarded the contract and on September 1, 1939 H.A. McDevitte T.D. officially opened the small, wooden pavilion. It would serve as the clubhouse until 1967.
John O’Donnell of Ardara and John Gillespie of Narin were the leading golfers in the first half century of the club’s existence, with the latter going round the nine holes in 33 shots on two occasions. Fairways were only cut once or twice a year, which made the course play longer than its actual length, a problem accentuated with the prevalence of moss.
The war years were traumatic for the golf club due to transport difficulties and finances didn’t improve much afterwards. Attracting new members wasn’t proving easy and but for the fundraising efforts of the Portnoo Dramatic Club, the club may have folded in the mid-fifties. The thespians toured throughout the county and presented £600 to the committee after several years fundraising. The corner had been turned.
Improvements were made to the nine-hole layout and in 1957 the current sixteenth hole replaced the sodden second on the initiative of Louis Walsh. A decision was taken in 1960 to rent more land from Barney McNelis and on June 24th, 1965 Donagh O’Malley, T.D. opened the new eighteen hole course. A first-ever victory in the Inter Club League in 1967 under the captaincy of Patsy Sweeney showed that the club was moving in the right direction on the playing front.
Membership improved sufficiently to justify the building of a bigger clubhouse and this was accomplished by Joe McMenamin & Sons, Stranorlar in 1968 with a grant of £6000 from Bord Fáilte easing the financial burden. A new car park followed in 1970, while new machinery made life a little easier for the greens staff.
Donal McBride became Honorary Secretary in 1978 and he entered the club for the first time in the Pierce Purcell, Scratch Cup and Ulster Cup. Fr. Brendan McBride represented Ulster that same year, a first for a Narin & Portnoo player. A successful Pro-Am was launched in 1979 which heightened the club’s profile even further. The likes of Eamon Darcy, Christy O’Connor and David Feherty were big draws and the standard of golf reflected this, with Bobby Browne shooting a 63 in 1979 to set a course record. The old amateur record of 63 was achieved by Ballybofey’s Enda McMenamin in 1990.
An extension to the clubhouse was added in 1990 and in 2001 the club purchased that part of the course owned by Mrs. Mary McNelis for £750,000. A course development in 2004 has lengthened the course to a par 73 and added several holes of unquestioned beauty.
From eighteen members in 1930, the club now caters for close on 730. Its founders’ vision has been justified and the best years surely lie ahead.
The clubhouse was completely refurbished in 2007 and Chareal Catering provide food of the highest quality for all golfers and the general public

No Course Reviews On File - Please Add One
A mile and a half long European Blue Flag beach adjoins the course. Excellent fishing and water sports in immediate proximity. Historic sites such as the magnificent Kilclloney dolmen and Doon Fort are within a mile of the course. The Dolmen Centre is the hub of most activity in the area with an ultra-modern playground and well-appointed museum.

Narin & Portnoo Golf Club - Portnoo Society Rate 9-16 golfers Monday to Friday: 30 euro;
Society Rate 9-16 golfers Weekend & Bank Holidays: 35 euro;
Society Rate 17 golfers Monday to Friday: 25 euro;
Society Rate 17 golfers Weekend & Bank Holidays: 30 euro;

25 miles northwest of Donegal Town via Ardara or Glenties in the townland of Clooney. 20 miles south of Donegal Airport.
Local Ads Here
HomeGolf Blog : Club Search : Golf Articles : Golf Sales : Golf Reviews : Golf Jokes :Win : Rules Of Golf : Privacy Statement : Disclaimer
Copyright © 2014 The Internet Golf Club, all rights reserved.