Welcome To The Internet Golf Club Your UK On-Line Golf Information Service
Home Courses Sales Articles News Reviews Rules Jokes Contact Win
Holywood Golf Club and Holywood Golf Course
Holywood Golf Club and Holywood Golf Course
Welcome To Holywood Golf Club
Details Correct As Of 07/04/2015


CONTACT DETAILS
Address    Nuns Walk
   Demesne Road
Town    Holywood
Postcode    BT18 9LE
Secretary / Manager    Gerry Fyfe
First Name / Manager    Gerry
Telephone    +44 (0)28 9042 3135
Fax    9042 5040
Club Website Address   www.holywoodgolfclub.co.uk
Email Address   pro@holywoodgolfclub.co.uk
Course Information Line Telephone    +44 (0)28 9042 5503
Greenkeeper    Paul Mathieson
Club Professional    Paul Gray
Telephone    +44 (0)28 9042 5503
Fax   No Information Given
Pro's Website Address   No Information Given
Pro's Email Address   paul@paulgraygolf.com
Club Steward / Manager    Gerry McIlroy
Telephone    +44 (0)28 9042 6832
Fax    +44 (0)28 9042 5040
COURSE INFORMATION
Number Of Holes    18 Hole
Course Yardage    6000
Par    69
Yardage Markers On Course   yes
Changing Room Facilities   yes
Handicap Certificates Required   no
Driving Range   no
Soft Spikes Required   no
Society Day(s)     Tue , Wed , Fri , Sun
Type Of Club    Members
Course Type    Parkland
GREEN AND MEMBERSHIP FEES
Green Fees Weekdays    15.00
Green Fees Weekends    25.00
Green Fees Twilight   No Information Given
Green Fees Junior   No Information Given
Green Fees Society   No Information Given
Green Fees Other   No Information Given
Joining Fee   No Information Given
7 Day Membership Fee   No Information Given
5 Day Membership Fee   No Information Given
Ladies Membership Fee   No Information Given
Junior Membership Fee   No Information Given
Country Membership Fee   No Information Given
Other Membership Fees   No Information Given
Membership Fee Information   No Information Given
PRO SHOP SERVICES
Proshop Available   yes
Club Hire Available   no
Club Repairs Available   yes
Custom Club Fitting Service   yes
Trolley Hire Available   yes
Electric Trolley Repair   no
Buggy Hire Available   no
Lessons Available   yes
Course Planner Available   no
CLUB HOUSE FACILITIES
Bar Available   yes
Breakfast Available   no
Lunch Available   yes
Afternoon Tea Available   no
Dinner Available   yes
Accommodation Available   no
CLUB HISTORY
IN THE BEGINNING
According to reliable local evidence the first golf played in Ireland was on a rather rough course at the Kinnegar on the shores of Belfast Lough, near Holywood, in the year 1881. The Belfast Golf Club as it was known, was an immediate success, and in 1885 was granted the favour of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales to be known as Royal Belfast Golf Club. In 1892 Royal Belfast Golf Club moved to newly acquired land at Carnalea and a void was thus created in the lives of the sporting gentry of Holywood. The Holywood Golf Club was formed in 1904 and the first nine hole course was laid out on ground rented from Henry Harrison on what was, and still is, known as the Irish Hill. This hill had been used from time immemorial as a toboggan run. The new golf course took up the upper slope, but even so the hurdles which enclosed the course were only fixed with pins which in snowy weather could be withdrawn leaving the whole hill open for tobogganing.

A fence cuning off the golf course from the remainder of the Hill ran as far as the "ditch" of which only a small part still remains. A club house was built behind the tee for the hole presently known as "Irish Hill" and continued in use until 1923. Later an extra piece of land was taken beside the Nuns Walk, and the golf course enlarged - but still retaining nine holes.

In 1917 all of the Harrison estate was sold and Grainger Brothers bought the original rented part of the golf course as far as the double ditch. The golf club continued to rent the ground and in 1928 bought it from Grainger Brothers, who, however, retained a portion for building this retained portion is now the desirable residential area known as Demesne Park and Demesne Road.

In March 1923 the Golf Club was formed into a Limited Company and bought, for £6,000, the grounds on the Belfast side of the double ditch - which runs from the back of the tee for the hole known as Old Oak" right down to Demesne Road and alongside the pitch hole now named "Nuns Walk." This newly acquired land ran right up to "Ardtullagh," and the junction of Demesne Road and Jacksons Road. A further nine holes were laid out, making an eighteen hole course, and a new Club House was built on the site of the present tee to "Nuns Walk." Incidentially all of the woods right up to the crest of the Hill were included in the purchase.

The Club House was destroyed by fire in October 1945, and Ardtullagh House which was fortunately available was rented as a Club House. Ardtullagh House continued to be used until 1962, when in keeping with the growth of the game of Golf and the demand for it, together with suitable social amenities, a new Club House was built on a site above that of the Club House which was burnt down in 1945. Subsequently in order to meet a continuing demand for extra accommodation a large extension was added to the premises in 1971.

Henry Harrison, who rented the land for the course in 1904, was made the first President of the Club and held office until 1924 when he was succeeded by Francis A. Herron. It is assumed that these gentlemen were the donors of the Presidents and Vice-Presidents Cups, which still provide two annual competitions in the Clubs Calendar of Events.
As a result of the fire in 1945, many of the records of the early life of the Club were destroyed, but it is known that the first Captain was Mr. H. L. Garrett of St. Valentines, who was a prime mover in the formation of the Club, and Mr. George Trimble was the first Honorary Secretary, and later to be Captain in the year 1909 and a long serving member of Council. The Minute Book from 1911 to 1924 has been preserved and makes interesting reading of the early development of the Club. Indeed it is certainly correct to say that all the attendant problems of Golf Club life of those days could be transferred until today and with a slight change of dates and names the minutes of those meetings of by-gone years could be read today and in many respects, few would notice the difference. It is hoped that this will become obvious, as also will the rise in the standards of living and the changes wrought by the social revolution of our times. These will be illustrated by quotations from minutes of the past, which make interesting reading.

GOLF CLUB REVIEWS
No Course Reviews On File - Please Add One
OTHER INFORMATION


SPECIAL OFFERS
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS & MAP
Directions to Holywood Golf Club

By Road.

From the South and West take the M1 Motorway to Belfast and follow the A2 signs to Bangor and the Belfast City Airport. From the North take the M2 Motorway to Belfast and follow the A2 signs to Bangor and the Belfast City Airport. Approx. 1.5 miles from the airport take the to Holywood and take the 1 st right into Demense Road, which will take you to the Golf Club on the right side of the road.

By Air.

Belfast International and Belfast City Airports are served from most UK and Eire airports.



LOCAL SERVICES
Local Ads Here
HomeGolf Blog : Club Search : Golf Articles : Golf Sales : Golf Reviews : Golf Jokes :Win : Rules Of Golf : Privacy Statement : Disclaimer
Copyright © 2014 The Internet Golf Club, all rights reserved.