Welcome To The Internet Golf Club Your UK On-Line Golf Information Service
Home Courses Sales Articles News Reviews Rules Jokes Contact Win
Cambuslang Golf Club and Cambuslang Golf Course
Cambuslang Golf Club and Cambuslang Golf Course
Welcome To Cambuslang Golf Club
Details Correct As Of 07/04/2015


Cambuslang Golf Club - Cambuslang
CONTACT DETAILS
Address    30 Westburn Drive
Town    Cambuslang
Postcode    G72 7NA
Secretary / Manager    Kennedy
First Name / Manager    Ian
Telephone    0141 6413130
Fax   No Information Given
Club Website Address   http://www.cambuslanggolf.co.uk/
Email Address   secretary@cambuslanggolf.co.uk
Course Information Line Telephone    01416413130
Greenkeeper   No Information Given
Club Professional   No Information Given
Telephone   No Information Given
Fax   No Information Given
Pro's Website Address  
Pro's Email Address  
Club Steward / Manager    Lesley Kelly
Telephone    01416413130
Fax   No Information Given
COURSE INFORMATION
Number Of Holes    9 Hole
Course Yardage    5942
Par    70
Yardage Markers On Course   yes
Changing Room Facilities   yes
Handicap Certificates Required   yes
Driving Range   no
Soft Spikes Required   no
Society Day(s)     Mon , Wed , Thur , Fri , Sun
Type Of Club    Members
Course Type    Parkland
GREEN AND MEMBERSHIP FEES
Green Fees Weekdays    30
Green Fees Weekends    30
Green Fees Twilight    20
Green Fees Junior    On Application
Green Fees Society    On Application
Green Fees Other    On Application
Joining Fee    On Application
7 Day Membership Fee    On Application
5 Day Membership Fee    On Application
Ladies Membership Fee    On Application
Junior Membership Fee    On Application
Country Membership Fee    On Application
Other Membership Fees    On Application
Membership Fee Information    On Application
PRO SHOP SERVICES
Proshop Available   no
Club Hire Available   no
Club Repairs Available   no
Custom Club Fitting Service   no
Trolley Hire Available   no
Electric Trolley Repair   no
Buggy Hire Available   no
Lessons Available   no
Course Planner Available   no
CLUB HOUSE FACILITIES
Bar Available   yes
Breakfast Available   yes
Lunch Available   yes
Afternoon Tea Available   yes
Dinner Available   yes
Accommodation Available   no
CLUB HISTORY
A meeting took place on 10th.March 1892 at the Central Halls, Cambuslang, when it moved that a Golf Club be formed to be called Cambuslang Golf Club. Mr A.G.Barns Graham was elected President, Mr Charles Christie, Captain, and Mr Robert Duncan, Secretary and Treasurer. It was left to the latter to arrange with Mr Muirhead, tenant of Westburn, about securing his field at the most favourable terms possible.

The issue of Golf Magazine of 19th February 1892 reports: A Golf Club is at present in course of formation in Cambuslang, and a suitable links for the game has been secured in Westburn green, which extends to over thirty acres. The green is a picturesque old park, not more than five minutes from Cambuslang Station and will afford scope for a nine holes round. In addition to considerable diversities of level, there are two small streams running through the ground, and these, with a curling pond.

On the 15th April 1892 the Golf Magazine reported: The new links at Westburn Green, which Willie Cambpell visited and laid out a few weeks ago, were formally opened on Saturday 9th April by Mr Charles Christie, Captain of the Club. The first Annual Meeting was held on 26th April 1892 when copies of the Bye-laws prepared by the Directors were approved and adopted. An annual subscription of 1 was approved. In June 1892 Mr James King was appointed to keep the green in order twice weekly at a wage of 4 shillings (20p) per week.

In March 1895, the then tenant of Westburn, Mr Muirhead, gave the Club notice to quit, but this gave the chance to open negotiations with the Commissioners of the Duke of Hamilton for the lease of Westburn Green. These were successful and the lease was concluded for ten years at a cost of 85 per annum as long as the membership remained at 130.

Now that the Club had gained security of tenure, it was agreed in January 1896 to erect a Clubhouse. The new Clubhouse was opened at precisely 3 pm on the 30th May 1896 by the Captain Mr James G. Jenkins. It had been built at a cost of 264.47p and the architect was Mr A.L.Miller. In May the same year, Mr Willie Smith was appointed as Professional, and on the 9th June set a course record of 69.

In September 1921 a letter was received from the Factor of the Duke of Hamilton Estates stating that it was impossible to arrange a further ten years lease for the Club. Despite action being taken by the Club, a final letter of 4th November confirmed that the lease could not be renewed and the land would be sold.

In April 1922, the course was officially advertised for sale, but happily in June and due to much work and effort by the Committee, it was agreed to purchase the course at Westburn Green for 1,760 from the Duke of Hamilton estates as from 10th June with entry at Martinmas (November).

The membership of the Club in January 1923 comprised 173 ordinary members, 87 ladies and nine juniors.A Special General Meeting of the Club on 19th December 1934 agreed to the reconstruction of the Clubhouse and the lowest offer of 1,468.41p was received from Messrs. Mathew Simpson Co.Ltd. of Govan, with the necessary reconstruction starting on 28th January 1935. The Clubhouse was officially opened on 1st June 1935, by Mrs J.M.Barr, wife of the Club Captain.

A Special General Meeting was called on 29th March 1962 to deal with the Lanark County Council Compulsory Purchase Order. This would involve the loss of the Clubhouse and part of the course, but fortunately not immediately, though there would be compensation for this loss.

At a Special Meeting held on the 30th April 1970, in agreement with the Planning Committee, Messrs Findlay McGeechan Co. Ltd (Tollcross) were awarded the Contract to build the present Clubhouse at a cost of 48,315.

The new Clubhouse was officially opened on Saturday 8th May 1971 in the presence of the President of the Scottish Golf Union Mr James Ferguson and Club Captain Robert Brown. Mrs James Blyth, wife of the Honorary President, declared the new building open and unveiled a commemorative plaque, on this really memorable occasion. Since then, we have remained in the clubhouse pictured above, but there have been a number of improvements to the course – not least in substantial tree-planting and landscaping.

GOLF CLUB REVIEWS
No Course Reviews On File - Please Add One
OTHER INFORMATION
Visitors are very welcome at Cambuslang by advance arrangement. The course is a sparsely wooded, feature packed, inland nine-hole course that’s located close to most transport routes in the south eastern suburbs of Glasgow. Under 5 minutes from junction 2A of the new M74 motorway. Founded in 1892, the course is a very inviting nine hole test and will ensure you use most of your shot making ability on practically every hole. At 5,942 yards, par 70 and SSS 69 for 18 holes it is certainly one of the longer nine-hole tests in the region and well worth a visit.

Green Fees:

Winter Rates £20.00 per round. (18 holes)

Summer Rates £30.00 per round. (18 holes)

Availability:

Restrictions on Weekends before 2.00pm and on competition days.

Please phone or email in advance to arrange a visit.

To go to our contact page

SPECIAL OFFERS
Cambuslang Golf Club - Cambuslang
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS & MAP
Cambuslang station 3/4 mile.
LOCAL SERVICES
Local Ads Here
HomeGolf Blog : Club Search : Golf Articles : Golf Sales : Golf Reviews : Golf Jokes :Win : Rules Of Golf : Privacy Statement : Disclaimer
Copyright © 2014 The Internet Golf Club, all rights reserved.