Welcome To The Internet Golf Club Your UK On-Line Golf Information Service
Home Courses Sales Articles News Reviews Rules Jokes Contact Win
Buchanan Castle Golf Club and Buchanan Castle Golf Course
Buchanan Castle Golf Club and Buchanan Castle Golf Course
Welcome To Buchanan Castle Golf Club
Details Correct As Of 07/04/2015


CONTACT DETAILS
Address    The Estate Office
   Drymen
Town    Glasgow
Postcode    G63 0HY
Secretary / Manager    Ms. Janet A. Dawson
First Name / Manager    Janet
Telephone    01360 660307
Fax   No Information Given
Club Website Address   www.buchanancastlegolfclub.co.uk
Email Address   info@buchanancastlegolfclub.co.uk
Course Information Line Telephone    01360 660330
Greenkeeper   No Information Given
Club Professional    Keith Baxter
Telephone    01360 660330
Fax    01360 870382
Pro's Website Address   No Information Given
Pro's Email Address   proshop@buchanancastlegolfclub.co.uk
Club Steward / Manager   No Information Given
Telephone   No Information Given
Fax   No Information Given
COURSE INFORMATION
Number Of Holes    18 Hole
Course Yardage    6131
Par    70
Yardage Markers On Course   yes
Changing Room Facilities   yes
Handicap Certificates Required   no
Driving Range   yes
Soft Spikes Required   no
Society Day(s)     Mon , Tue , Wed , Thur , Fri , Sat , Sun
Type Of Club    Members
Course Type    Parkland
GREEN AND MEMBERSHIP FEES
Green Fees Weekdays    42
Green Fees Weekends    47
Green Fees Twilight    Contact Pro Shop
Green Fees Junior   No Information Given
Green Fees Society    On application
Green Fees Other   No Information Given
Joining Fee    Contact the Club
7 Day Membership Fee    On application
5 Day Membership Fee   No Information Given
Ladies Membership Fee   No Information Given
Junior Membership Fee   No Information Given
Country Membership Fee   No Information Given
Other Membership Fees   No Information Given
Membership Fee Information   No Information Given
PRO SHOP SERVICES
Proshop Available   yes
Club Hire Available   yes
Club Repairs Available   yes
Custom Club Fitting Service   yes
Trolley Hire Available   yes
Electric Trolley Repair   no
Buggy Hire Available   yes
Lessons Available   yes
Course Planner Available   yes
CLUB HOUSE FACILITIES
Bar Available   yes
Breakfast Available   yes
Lunch Available   yes
Afternoon Tea Available   yes
Dinner Available   yes
Accommodation Available   no
CLUB HISTORY
The clubhouse was built on the site of the ancient Buchanan House, home of the Buchanan family which had held the lands on Loch Lomondside since the 13th century. The Graham Family, the Dukes of Montrose, bought the estate in the 17th century and have held it since. The original house burned down in 1852, but the present clubhouse incorporates some of the surviving walls.

Among other things, the Montroses were much involved in the breeding and training of racehorses and kept a large establishment at Newmarket, as they did at Buchanan Castle. The ground on which the golf course is laid out was used as a racetrack, and for training gallops. The greatest success was the 1878 Derby Winner, Sefton, ridden by Harry Constable. The win is commemorated in the name of the 18th hole of the course, and in a huge oil painting of Sefton, jockey and attendants which graces the lounge in the clubhouse. The dining room displays the portraits of the Dukes of Montrose, with the Duchesses in the lounge.

John McDonald Bannerman, one of the most famous of all Scottish rugby Internationals, was factor to the Duke of Montrose in 1935, when golf at Buchanan Castle was first mooted. He summoned James Braid, five times Open Champion, then in his sixties and a man who designed courses the length and breadth of the United Kingdom and Ireland. Braid had a hand in the Kings at Gleneagles, Rosemount, carnoustie and Dalmahoy.

Braids Autograph was perhaps the dog leg hole and the original Buchanan Castle had 12 of them and ran to 6800 yards with 8 par 5s. The course was opened in May 1936 by the 6th Duke of Montrose. It was to prove too challenging for the ordinary member and the length was progressively reduced to its present comfortable medal length of 6052, with little troublesome rough.
GOLF CLUB REVIEWS

24/06/2012 - Sent by Eric Brockie
  Nice course. Pleasant and friendly staff. All that is required for a nice day of golf.

OTHER INFORMATION
The original course was constructed at a lengthy 6853 yards featuring 8 par 5s. The course favoured the long hitter with the 6th hole in particular requiring a drive carry of 200 yards to cross the Endrick Water. According to extracts from Hugh R Buchanan in 1936, ...the course played long as there was no run on the ball..., and he mentions that it was opportune that the 9th returned to the Clubhouse as ..players could take sustenance from the bar.., or ... replensih their stock of golf balls....or ...both...

Six holes of the course were closed during the war years and turned over to agricultural use, and His Grace offered the castle to the British Red Cross, who subsequently commandeered it to become the 4th Scottish General Hospital. Courtesy of the course and clubhouse being given to officers etc.

The course was reduced in length in 1947 with a new 6 holes being added to the 12 retained during the war. A Charity Exhibition Match in aid of the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmens Families Association between Walter Hagen (USA), Dai Rees, and Joe Kirkwood was held on the 13th September 1947 to mark the opening of the new (shortened) course.



SPECIAL OFFERS
10 BAY FLOODLIT COVERED DRIVING RANGE AVAILABLE. VECTOR LAUNCH MONITOR. CUSTOM FIT CENTRE. 9 HOLE ACADEMY COURSE
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP AVAILABLE -CONTACT THE CLUB 01360 660307
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS & MAP
A811 one mile beyond Croftamie village.
LOCAL SERVICES
Local Ads Here
HomeGolf Blog : Club Search : Golf Articles : Golf Sales : Golf Reviews : Golf Jokes :Win : Rules Of Golf : Privacy Statement : Disclaimer
Copyright © 2014 The Internet Golf Club, all rights reserved.